Dr. Fan’s laboratory is located in the Palmer Engineering Building, Room #011 at the University of Nevada, Reno with allocated space of 313 SF.
Instron ElectroPulsTM Model E1000
- Dynamic capacity: +/-1000 N
- Static capacity: +/-710 N
- Load cell: +/-2 kN
Pneumatic 1 kN Fatigue-Rated Wedge Action Grips
- Tension and compression, including full reverse-stress dynamic testing
- Dynamic capacity: +/-1 kN
Figure (click to enlarge): The oil-free ElectroPuls material testing machine is capable of static loading as well as fatigue loading with stress-control, strain-control, and displacement control.
KEYENCE 3D Digital Microscope VHX-5000
- 500x to 5000x magnification lens
- 100x to 1000x magnification lens
Figure (click to enlarge): Integrating a loading device with the digital microscope, we accurately captured detailed and in-situ twinning process in a single crystal magnesium.
Markforged Mark Two 3D Printer
- Capability: printing continuous fiber reinforced plastics
Figure (click to enlarge): We use this carbon fiber 3D printer to create architectures which may have mechanical properties not existing in natural materials.
- Capacity: 112 CPUs (Intel Xeon E2630)
- Access to the University of Nevada, Reno’s high performance computing cluster
- Software: ABAQUS, LAMMPS, MOOSE